Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

DIY Burlap Picture Frame {For the Holidays}


I know Thanksgiving is still a couple of weeks away, but my mind is set on Christmas!  In the retail world, once Fall arrives, Christmas is immediately on the brain.  I have been crafting up a storm to get new holiday decor in my shop booth.  I can barely keep up with all the other stores...not to mention Hobby Lobby who puts their Christmas decor on display in August!  That's too early in my opinion!

Everyone is LOVING burlap right now!  I especially love using it for craft projects around the holidays!  But have you seen the white burlap?!?  Burlap now comes in a variety of colors, but I am swooning over the white and my head is spinning with ideas of where to use it! 

Personally, I have always struggled with where to display all the Christmas cards we get.  I hate junking up the refrigerator and they are so pretty these days I thought people should have a prettier place to display them.  So after a quick trip to Hobby Lobby for the white burlap and a chance find at Goodwill,  I created a Burlap Open Frame Picture/Card Display that can be used all year round.


This is the frame I found at Goodwill for only 4 bucks!  It was already empty without the glass and backing, even better, and built solid with wood.  Perfect size for 2 rows of card displaying.


I started by cutting about 10 strips of the white burlap.  I knew I would need some kind of adhesive to get the burlap started.  I initially thought hot glue, but hot glue + burlap = blistered fingers.  So I pulled out my all purpose HEAVY DUTY 3M double stick tape.  This is commercial strength and I use it for everything!  My fingers were sticking to the frame this stuff is so strong.  It works just like double sided tape -- roll out a strip and peel off the back! 


And just start wrapping the frame with the burlap!


Almost complete and I ran out of burlap! 

No worries!  Just needed to cut one last strip of burlap!

And a Word to the Wise while working with burlap, especially white burlap, DON'T WEAR BLACK!  This is what happens.  I must warn you so you don't make the same mistake! :-) 


Finished product!


I used natural jute string to add to the rustic feel of the frame, tied to the back of the frame by picture hanging hooks.  I tied a sweet little plaid bow on mine to make it a little more festive for the holidays, but without the bow, this frame can be used year round for pictures, notes, or cards. 

Some other Christmas decor I am working on to sell in my shop!

Chalkboard Art Knock-Off
An open frame to easily change out your favorite holiday photos!
An open frame with burlap for displaying cards or photos.
A simple frame embellished with vintage Scrabble pieces.
Hand drawn details.
Scrabble art for the kid in you!

Don't worry this isn't the end to my holiday decorating and crafting....there will be lots more where that came from! What kind of crafts are you working on for the holidays?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing comments, questions, and suggestions! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...