Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Nursery Lighting

The nursery design for our little guy is quickly coming together.  There has been a lot of progress in the last month and it is so close to being complete before he arrives in September.  Notice any KEY design features missing in this picture though?



L I G H T I N G!!!!  

If you know anything about me or my design style, or have been following my blog, you know that lighting is a HUGE part of my designs.  So, I can't believe I have left the ceiling light for the last major design decision for the nursery.  

Our home was recently built a few months ago, and I purposely had them wire it for a ceiling light but not install one knowing I would be changing it out soon after we moved in.  Every time I walk into this room of our house, I flip the light switch on without even thinking and forget there is no light in the room!  Every time!!  So, needless to say, we need a light in here, quick! Here are my options I have put together. 


1  //  2  //  3  //  4  //  5  //  6  //  7

Things to think about when purchasing a ceiling light.  1.  Number of lights.  Some of these have multiple light bulbs in them, up to 8 and others only have a single light bulb, so there is going to be a huge difference in the amount of lighting they will produce.  I am definitely going to have a side table lamp in here as well, so a single light bulb would work just fine in the small space.  2.  Size.  The ceiling height of our second floor bedrooms are only 8' tall, so I can't install a light too large (unless we want to be hitting our heads on it)!  For a room this size, you wouldn't want anything taller (longer) than 12" hanging down from the ceiling.  3.  Design and Aesthetics.  This is a no brainer.  Look for a light that looks pretty in the room.  I always like to search out interesting lights that makes a statement versus something boring and basic that no one will even notice.  It doesn't mean it has to be more expensive, it may just take a little more searching.  4.  Price.  My goal for this light was to find something inexpensive while still aesthetically pleasing.   All of these lights are under $200 and some even under $100.  5.  Where to purchase.  I generally always buy my lighting online because there are SO many options to choose from.  Some of my favorite sources online for lighting are Wayfair and Shades of Light.  You won't believe which one of these is from Target!

I still haven't purchased a ceiling light or made a decision on which one I want, but I will need to soon as my due date is approaching.

In a nursery, I always think you should have multiple sources of light.  You should have an overhead light for your main lighting and accent lighting for ambient lighting - night time feedings and changings.  Ambient lighting can consist of just a table lamp next to the rocker.  Or even 2 additional light sources such as a table lamp on a side table and on the changing table, depending on what you will have room for.  I have decided to just have a table lamp on the side table next to the rocker, but of course, I needed options.  This time I went straight to Target and was able to find more than enough options for a lamp.


1  //  2  //  3  //  4  //  5  //  6

This was an easy choice for me.  I kind of had a clear winner as soon as I saw it in person.  I know I seem like a crazy person for purchasing this many lamps at one time, but I HAD to see them in person, in the room, to really make sure I was making the right decision.  Rememeber, lighting is important to me.  I ordered all of these online at Target.  Shipping was free and I knew I could return them to the store when I made my decision of which to keep.  Target makes it very easy to purchase multiple things for options and then return what you don't want.  

I loved #6 but it was a little too tall and big, and was the most expensive.  #3 was almost too "kiddish" with the silver stars on it for what else was happening in the room.  Initially, I always thought I would go with #4 but the base of it took up almost the entire table top.  :(  It's important to leave plenty of space for baby bottles, phone, books, etc.  #5 was much shorter and smaller in person than I thought.  #2 was just a really cool lamp in general.  I thought the concrete, geometric base looked so much like a moon's surface, but in the end, just wasn't right in the space.  


I decided to go with the Olsen Collection Two Headed Task Lamp by Threshold from Target for many reasons.  The base of the lamp was small, so it didn't take up a lot of space on the side table.  I LOVED the colors -- black to coordinate with the black wall on the other side of the room, and just enough of a touch of brass for a little added accent.  And having two lights with their own individual switch was a huge bonus!  That was really what sold me.  I can see this really coming in handy if I only want a little bit of light at night, or need more at times.  

Have you ever seen these light bulbs?!? 


 I came across the Sleepy Baby Nursery Light on Pinterest and was very intrigued.  At $30 a pop for ONE light bulb I might buy just one for the table lamp and see if it works.  Supposedly, if you turn this light on during the night for a feeding or diaper change or whatever, the baby's eyes won't register it and the baby still sees darkness, so they aren't woken.  It seems like a good thing but maybe they won't eat if they aren't awake!  I am still doing my research on this one before I spend the same amount on a single light bulb as I did on this lamp!  Let me know if you have used this light bulb in your baby's room!

7 more weeks to go!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing comments, questions, and suggestions! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...